Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Community Post



Three communities I belong to are:
My Track community
My Church community
My Family community            
I consider my track community to be the most favorable of the three. In my track community during warmer temperatures we practice outside at Skinner Park, while during cooler seasons we practice inside the school mainly in gold house. As a team we all get ready for practice at different places because we don't have a specific locker room where we were assigned. Since many of the people on my track team are my close friends, we all choose to spend time together at each other’s houses and mainly downtown.
The place where I am most familiar with in my track community is where we practice during the warmer temperatures, which is Skinner Park. Due to the hot weather many sports teams from several schools along with locals walking their dogs are commonly seen. We start of our practice with jogging around the perimeter of the park for our warm-up. During the main practice we run through a short walkway paved with grass which is surrounded by trees. Our purpose for running through this specific area is that the trees serve as a finish line along with shade from the sun. Although this walkway is filled with lumps and bumps in its ground it is a beautiful place to run through on sunny days.
During practice, my role on my track team is to first do myself justice, and then do the same for my team. The saying there is no ‘I’ in team is our main rule that everyone must abide by. Obvious expectations for every member on the team are to do well in school and also at home so you can participate in the sport. Importantly for this sport everyone is to join together to not only push themselves but the push teammates mainly to be able to perform at competitions. Everyone is meant to put aside for 2-hours at practice whatever they have going on in their lives to better their athletic abilities. Expectations on the team are different for certain people in that ,the top runners not only work harder than everyone else to push themselves but serve as great motivation for their teammates so they can also improve. My individual role as a top runner in my community is to continue drive myself towards getting better and truly also be able to perform well in school.
As one of the top runners on my team I feel as it is my obligation not to falter but to maintain my leadership. Going to practice every day and in some cases sacrificing other things in order to be on the team and improve is actually doesn’t affect me badly. When I began on the team I was welcomed in with arms opened wide introduces a level I had never felt on any other sports team. AS the weeks went on I instantly began to feel a kinship with everyone on the team. Gladly going to practice every day after school gives me a sense of relaxation and happiness I often don’t feel. By being entered into many of the track competitions also makes me feel involved and welcomed to contribute to the success of the team. I always strive to be better not only for myself but for my team and with this I think is what everyone in a community should also try to accomplish.

No comments:

Post a Comment