Monday, February 18, 2013

Community Proposal


·         What neighborhood do you live in?
University Village/Little Italy
·         How would you describe your neighborhood?
My neighborhood is very unique in terms of the people that consist of it. In my neighborhood, there are many UIC students, families who have lived here for a while, as well as hard workers in the various stores.  My neighborhood is also very unique in the landscape. It is made up of very old buildings spanning back to the beginning of the city, such as the Holy Family Church, and St Ignatius. It has consists of intertwined streets filled with many restaurants, known as Taylor Street, which is famous due to famous Chicagoan mobsters.
·         What are the Demographics of your area?
1.       Mostly African American, Caucasian
2.       Large Hispanic community on Pilsen
3.       Many students outweigh families
·         People I plan on interviewing
1.       My sister Theodora Okiro (UIC Student)
2.       Owner of a Restaurant of Taylor Street
3.       Holy Family (church) member
·         What part of the American Dream is present in my neighborhood?
I think a part of the American dream that I think is present in my dream, is the dream to build a better tomorrow for the generation to come. I think the adults in my neighborhood, through many neighborhood events and projects, try to help the youth to find their way thus ensuring that the youth can keep the community strong. I also think a part of the American Dream that consists in my neighborhood is a change is a change in what is viewed as the American dream. I think that this is especially prevalent in my neighborhood, since it is made of many students, making the community modern, and changing the means of achieving things and how you achieve those things.

No comments:

Post a Comment